Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tastes Like Chicken

Yesterday a couple friends and I headed out in the sweltering heat to enjoy the yumminess at Taste of Buffalo. It's ToB's 30th birthday, and it's the largest two day food festival in the country. This is the fourth year I've gone and we had a blast. And, of course, I don't have a single picture to share. Go me.

I complained about the heat, but honestly last year was even worse... we spent half of our food coupons on bottles of water! And I made the grievous mistake of trying Danny's Chicken Wing Soup. Now don't get me wrong. The soup is delicious. But hot sauce on an 85ยบ day just makes you feel like you're in deep fried hell. This year we were smart and brought in our own bottles of water and stayed away from the Frank's Red Hot!

I'm trying to remember everything we had. We shared each other's food, which made it all the more fun. My friends are seafood fans, so several of their choices involved that but I did try most of the other stuff that didn't swim in the ocean.

We had jerk chicken, Ahi tuna nachos, pulled pork, ribs, spring rolls, creme brulee, rice pudding, a couple different soups, and some other stuff that I don't remember. But two things really stood out to me.

Macaroni and cheese is one of my absolute favorite foods, and I readily admit that the stuff in the blue box is easily my favorite. I know, I KNOW. What can I say? It reminds me of my childhood. So one of the items I tried was Memphis Mac and Cheese... mac & cheese mixed with pulled pork. Two of my favorite things! It was pretty good; I liked the little bit of sweetness the pulled pork added. After I had already eaten my mac and cheese, one of my friends tried another restaurant's offering, and it was the absolute BEST macaroni and cheese I've ever had. And it may have been one of the best things I've ever eaten. I'm a simple girl, really.

My absolute favorite thing was the Beef on Weck Ravioli from Indian Falls Log Cabin. If you've never been to Buffalo you probably have no idea what I'm referring to. But beef on weck is a Buffalo specialty. Here is a good write-up! The quick explanation is that it's a roast beef sandwich on a kimmelweck roll, which is just a roll topped with pretzel salt and caraway seeds. The ravioli had the caraway seeds, which made it perfect! Unique and delicious, and I'm so glad I tried it! (Strangely, I don't see this offered on their actual menu.)

As I was driving home, I heard a local radio station mention ToB... they said it tastes like chicken. Hilarious on several different levels. Such a fun time. Hanging out with friends and eating delicious food. What more could anyone ask for?!

No comments:

Post a Comment