Monday, September 6, 2010

Salted Caramel Cupcakes

I was reading the latest copy of Food Network magazine and the editor's letter was talking about Sunny Anderson's dinner with the Biden's (yes, those Biden's) for disabled veterans. I've watched Sunny's show before, but never caught this, so maybe someone can clue me in. The editor made it sound like Sunny uses the expression "Oh My Garlic!" a lot. I've never heard her say that, but it totally made me smile.

After eating these cupcakes, I think I need to come up with my own expression like that because these are absolutely delicious. The only reason I even found this recipe was because it was linked on the Disboards.

The blog is called Joy's Hope and it's a cute little blog. Check it out.

AFTER you make the cupcakes!

Sorry I don't have a picture. I wasn't thinking.

She includes a link to a homemade cake and homemade caramel here. I just used a devil's food cake mix and a jar of caramel ice cream topping. I also left off the Skor bars.

Ingredients:
  • one box chocolate cake mix (and ingredients to make it)

  • 3/4 tsp sea salt

  • 4-5 Skor or Heath bars

  • 12-oz jar of caramel ice cream topping

  • can of frosting, or use the following ingredients to make your own

  • stick of unsalted butter, room temperature

  • 1-lb powdered sugar

  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

  • 3 Tbsp whole milk (I used 1% and it was fine)

  • pinch of salt


  • You will also need a squeeze bottle. I got mine at Michaels by the candy-making-cake-decorating stuff.

    Mix up your cupcake batter and bake according to the package directions.

    When they are done baking, pour the caramel topping into a glass measuring cup. Add the sea salt. Microwave for one minute and stir. Pour the caramel topping into your squeeze bottle.

    Let the cupcakes and caramel cool (I waited about ten minutes). Insert the tip of the squeeze bottle into the cupcake and give it a good firm squeeze. I did this twice to get a good amount of caramel. Save a little bit of the caramel to use on top of the frosted cupcakes.

    Now you need to decide if you want to use a can of frosting or make your own. I have no problem with canned frosting, but decided to try the recipe she provided. It was easy and quite yummy. (And I love the way she displayed her recipe as a pretty little image on her blog!)

    To make the frosting:
    Cream together the butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Mix until thick and creamy.

    That's it. Easy peasy.

    Frost your cupcakes.

    If you're using the candy bars, now is the time to let out your aggression!! Smash those babies up into little pieces and sprinkle on top of the cupcakes.

    Finish with a little bit of remaining caramel drizzled on top.

    So good.
    I'm not telling you how many I ate!

    1 comment:

    1. I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

      ReplyDelete