Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Nerdy Girl 5K

Since January, I've been faithfully either going to the gym or going for walks around my neighborhood. At the gym, I alternate between the treadmill and the stationery bike. I've always enjoyed walking, but running and I do NOT get along. Even in high school when we were supposed to run a mile for the President's Fitness Test (or whatever is was), I always walked. A couple years ago, I tried very had to take up running. I read all about the Couch-to-5K program and for three solid months I tried my hardest to get past the first level. It never happened. So, walking it is. I've been steadily lowering my average pace per mile (thank you, Nike chip thingy) and I'm excited to do the Color Run (ahem, Walk) with some friends in August. (You can buy those fabulous little 0.0 stickers here)

For the past three years, I've walked in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge through my company. This year, I wasn't able to participate and it turns out that I'm actually kind of grateful, because it rained all day. Walking 3.1 miles in the rain would be bad enough. But then you have to factor in finding a place to park (which usually winds up being in a different zip code), walking to the picnic area to meet up with your friends, waiting for the race to start.... by the time the walkers actually start the race, you've already been waiting around for at least an hour. In the rain? No thanks. (Yes, I'm made of sugar. Yes, I WILL melt.)

But I was still disappointed, so I decided that I was still going to walk a 5K. I just wasn't going to pay an entrance fee or get a tshirt or a number. What I was going to get was the ability to open my front door and start my walk! So I logged on to mapmywalk.com and plotted a very easy 5K course that I could complete without ever having to get into my car.

Do you remember the episode of Big Bang Theory where Leonard was telling Penny about how he and Sheldon became roomies? After Leonard passed Sheldon's version of the Kobayashi Maru, Sheldon presented Leonard with a welcome packet that included, among other things, an apartment flag. That is something I would totally do... the welcome packet, the flag, the multiple choice tests. Well, if I ever decided to have a roommate. Which I would never do. That is actually something that surprises me about my beloved Mr. Cooper. [Just an aside... I have a Sheldon bobblehead that sits on my computer monitor. As I'm typing, Sheldon is nodding his head as if he remembers that episode. *grin*]

I did bring that up for a reason... after I mapped out my route, I decided that simply mapping it and walking it wasn't enough. I HAD to name it! So I dubbed my 5K the "Nerdy Girl 5K". Doesn't that make it so much more entertaining? Like it's a real thing?

And guess what? I came in first place!! Ahhh, the beauty of making up your own stuff. (Yes, I also came in dead last. But where's the fun in focusing on that?!)

I'm quite proud of myself. Sheldon would be proud, too. Okay, maybe not; he hates the outdoors. Obi Wan would be proud. The Force is strong in this one.

Someone should make me a tshirt.

1 comment:

  1. I love that idea! I did a do-it-yourself 5K Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving with a couple friends and it was so much fun!! Just because it's not official doesn't mean it isn't a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete